Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Lucky Foods

Today I read an interesting article called, "Lucky Foods for the New Year". I thought I would share what was listed.
  • grapes- eat 12 for each sweet grape it represents a lucky month for each sour grape its said to represent a not-so-lucky one. This is a tradition out of Spain.
  • hearty black-eyed peas- represent humility
  • lentils-abundance in wealth
  • circular foods- foods in a ring shape represent "things coming full circle"
  • lucky coin bread- bake a coin in a loaf of bread the person who gets the coin in their slice will have good luck all year
  • soba (buckwheat noodles)- represents longevity in the Far East, eating these noodles in Japan at midnight is a custom that stands for "from one year to another"
  • coin shaped foods- wealth
  • greens- because they look like "greenbacks"
  • pork- because of its fat represents "rich in happiness"
  • cornbread-"glories of gold"
Eating the soba in Japan at midnight I think is neat and the circular foods (hello doughnuts :) and pork may be my favorite. When I read the pork one I can't help, but think of the scripture found in 2 Nephi 9:51-52 "my soul delighth in fatness". I may just have to eat some of these on New Year's and start myself a new tradition.

1 comment:

KK said...

Looks like I've been eating the wrong foods. No wonder I'm not very lucky, I haven't been eating my lentils. haha

Blog Archive