Wow! Wow, for many reasons and not in any particular order one- it’s been too long since I updated my blog, but now I have more internet/computer time now. Second- I am in Alaska! Third- Alaska is amazingly beautiful! The lodge is located in a valley- we are surrounded on all sides with mountains and full, green timbers. The leaves are just beginning to bud on others not many flowers though, but it is beautiful! There is only snow on the high mountain tops and the weather has been awesome! It’s been in the high 60s during the afternoons, but still on the cooler side in the mornings. When I first arrived here the sun would begin to set around 10:30, now it’s a little closer to 11:00. It’s pretty cool. Interesting. I have yet to see a sunset here, because I’ve been asleep. I don’t think I’ll see one here. I’ve been told that each day Alaska receives 6 more minutes of sunlight. The other night I was watching the weather report and as the weather woman gave the forecast for the evening she said that the night would be full of sunlight. It just sounded weird- night full of sunlight. What? The job is going well. I’m enjoying it! Last week and this week we are spending deep cleaning guest rooms and preparing them for opening day. It’s a lot of work, but good hard work- I’m working on my muscles ;) Sunday half of the housekeeping staff arrived making the work load for me and Alison(housekeeping manager) lighter. I also happen to be the oldest one in our department most are 18-21. Alison is just a couple years younger than me. She’s a lot of fun and we get along great! She also attended Utah State. (Yea! Go Aggies!) The food is yummy! I’m doing good controlling my portions. (good work, Katie!) The staff here at the Kenai lodge are friendly and laid back. I’m excited to get to know them all better and make new friends. Other interesting things- the toilet paper and tissues are from a company called Eco Soft and are made from recycled paper products. Yeah recycled toilet paper! ;) I’ve only seen wild bunnies, birds, and squirrels. Yep, no bears or moose yet. Oh, the mosquitos are as big as they say. I am happy! I am happy I’m here! I’m excited for more of this adventure and what the summer will bring! I’m excited to grow, learn, and to be in the mountains, and to be in a place that I’ve dreamed of coming since I was a young girl. I’m grateful for this opportunity! I’m thankful to Heavenly Father- I’m thankful for Him. I’m becoming closer to Him as I learn to more completely trust Him and rely on Him for help, guidance, and knowledge. I love Him. I have such peace in my heart and mind. I know the peace I feel is sent from God through the Spirit. I’m thankful for who I am and what I know about who I am and can become. God is real. His plan is perfect and filled with happiness and peace. I need God and He needs me to be true to who I am- to the covenants I have made and will make. Alaska is amazing! Masaya Ang Aking Puso :)
2 comments:
Katie, I was just thinking about you and wondering if you were in Alaska yet. I am SO glad that it has gone well so far and that you are happy. What a fun thing to get to go do for a summer, especially since you have wanted to go to Alaska for so long. That is crazy that it stays light for so long, it must make it harder to go to sleep. I am really happy for you and keep writing about all your adventures!
Katie! You sound like you are having an incredible time! I miss you and your smiles, but I'm so glad that everything is going so well! Love you girl! Keep us posted! :)
Post a Comment